Sunday, April 15, 2018

One Thing I Can't Put on My Wishlist

Given that my birthday is a bit more than a month away and I hadn't updated my wishlist since before Christmas, I was prompted to get on that, and I've been having just a little bit of trouble with that. The problem is that most of the things I want are things that money can't buy, like more time and energy and better character traits. Yes, money can buy goods and services that save time and food that gives a person energy, but the most important thing I want, self-improvement, can't be bought. You can't order it on Amazon. You can't wrap it up and give it to someone. It can only come from within.

Fortunately, the key to self-improvement is simple, even though the method is tough. First, think of the trait you want, then think of how a person with that trait would act, and then act that way. Fake it 'til you make it, basically. It's a difficult task that requires a lot of diligence and will-power, but it can be done. Unfortunately, it cannot be done for you. Self-improvement is something that, by definition, you have to do yourself.

One can wish for many things, and people can buy many things for each other, but there are somethings that money can't buy, and some of those things, like Christlike attributes, are the most important things of all.

No comments: