Tuesday, April 17, 2018

My Double-Standard

I have two sets of moral rules: one to which I hold myself and one to which I hold society. I think you can guess which standard is higher. I try to be a good person, and I try to obey the commandments, but I also understand that not everyone is always going to be "good" and that many people don't believe in God or care about His commandments, and I'm mostly okay with that. Not everyone has to maintain the same moral standards. I generally believe that people should have a good deal of freedom, so long as they don't use that freedom to hurt people. Just not hurting people is clearly a pretty low standard, and I try to hold myself to a higher standard than that, but I think it's about right for humanity in general. People have different religions and cultures, and what a person accepts as rules of morality are naturally going to vary from person to person. I think that we should tolerate that variance and not try to compel people to be as righteous as we try to be.

No comments: