Monday, April 2, 2018

"You Can't Miss Them All"

I, for some reason, am exceptionally tired tonight, but I'm not the kind of tired that makes it hard to keep my eyes open. I'm the kind of tired that makes it hard to think. I'm the kind of tired that made me misspell "chance and probability." And I'm the kind of tired that, when I tried to say "You can't win them all," had me instead say "You can't miss them all."

But that's kind of true, too, isn't it? Sure, it's possible to fail at every attempt at something, especially if you're trying something difficult. But the more attempts you make, the more likely it is that you'll eventually succeed on one of those attempts. And if you keep trying until you succeed, you will eventually succeed. Even a one-in-a-million shot is likely to succeed, on average, once per every million attempts.

So, take the shot. As long as you have even the slightest chance and nothing to lose, you might as well give it a shot. You might surprise yourself with how lucky you can be, and as you keep trying, luck will become less and less of a factor. You can't win them all, but as long as you keep trying, you can't miss them all, either.

No comments: