Sunday, April 1, 2018

Reading Notes

This has been an exciting General Conference, and I'm looking forward to learning more about many of the topics and announcements addressed in Conference, but for the purpose of this blog, it's basically business as usual. I'll review the talks and write about them one-by-one. The one thing I plan to do differently this time is checking my notes when I review a talk.

I've taken notes in Conference since I was little. I have stacks of Conference notes scattered all over the house, and I have dozens of files on my computer devoted to storing and organizing my digital notes. Yet, for all the notes I've collected over the years, I never study them, or even review them. They mostly just sit around, gathering dust. Granted, the computer files don't literally gather dust, but they don't exactly fulfill their purpose, either. Not if I don't read them.

This time around, I intend to at least skim through my Conference notes regularly. I've collected my notes from this Conference and put them in a special file on my Desktop, which will make them easier to access while I'm queuing up a Conference talk to blog about. Hopefully, the ease of accessing the notes will make it more likely that I actually do.

While taking notes can help one remember the messages one has heard, even if the notes aren't read afterward, I think that they'll be even more effective and helpful if I review them, so that's what I plan to do over the next five or six months. I want my notes to help me get the most out of Conference, and to do that, I'm going to have to actually read them.

No comments: