Wednesday, February 24, 2021

A Strong Spiritual Foundation

In construction, it's important to start with a strong foundation. That's why construction workers dig deep, usually until they hit solid rock, then lay a foundation made of something strong, like concrete, usually reinforced with some kind of metal, then let it set before they try to build anything on top of it. Without a good foundation, you can't build much of anything and expect it to stay standing for long.

Similarly, we need to make sure our spiritual foundation is secure before we try to build on it. That's why we "dig deep" until we hit solid principles, like God is Our Loving Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ is Our Savior and Redeemer. Then we can lay a foundation on those principles. That foundation might be something like faith or trust or core beliefs, and we should make sure that we reinforce that foundation with the iron rod (i.e. God's words). Then we need to let our foundation set over time and become firm and solid before we can build more on top of it.

I feel like I'm still working on my spiritual foundation. There are some cracks in it that I need to repair so I can get my spiritual house in order. Digging deep and laying a sure foundation is somewhat difficult, and it can take a lot of work, but it's important to help ensure that whatever we build on that foundation may be able to stand. I hope we all put in the effort to dig deep to our most firmly held beliefs and lay our foundations solidly upon them, reinforced with the scriptures. Then we can build our other beliefs and practices on top of that.

I want all of me beliefs and habits to be solid and sturdy. To accomplish that, I need to make sure I build them on a solid spiritual foundation.

No comments: