Friday, February 26, 2021

How Much Is Eternity Worth?

On the flipside of selling eternity to get a toy, I wonder how much it would be worth to buy eternity. Granted, eternity can't be purchased. No amount of money will foot the bill. Still, in an abstract sense, the question stands. How much should someone be willing to give up in order to gain Celestial Glory? How much should one be willing to sacrifice in exchange for Eternity? How much should one be willing to "Pay"?

My estimate is "just about anything," but for me, personally, I don't think I'd take that deal. I don't think I'd be willing to sacrifice everything to gain the Celestial Kingdom. I could hope I would be, but, knowing me, I doubt it. Heck, I don't think I'd even be as willing to sacrifice as Martin Harris was. He, perhaps reluctantly, mortgaged his property to pay for the publication of The Book of Mormon, hoping to make the money back by selling copies of the book. When that failed, he ended up selling most of his property to pay his debt. Ultimately, he sold almost everything he had for the sake of God's Kingdom. I don't think I could have done that.

No one can buy their way into the Celestial Kingdom, and even if one could, I don't think I could. The blessings of the Celestial Kingdom are worth more than all the treasures of the Earth. But, compared to my willingness and ability to pay, the actual cost of getting those blessings may still be too great.

No comments: