Thursday, February 4, 2021

The Reasons for the Rules

Our dog doesn't seem to realize that crossing the street can be dangerous. I frequently take the family dog to the park down the block, and whenever we need to cross the street, she seems eager to do it right away, regardless of whether a car's coming or not. So, when we get to an intersection, I generally need to reel her in and keep her on a short leash until the danger is past.

I sometimes wonder if God does something similar with us. I don't fully see the purposes behind all of God's commandments. Sometimes, I think life would be simpler without those commandments, but perhaps that's merely my lack of experience talking. I may not understand the reasons behind God's rules any more than our dog knows why it's important to stop at intersections, but there are reasons, and they're almost certainly good ones.

Perhaps, rather than asking for the reasoning behind all of God's commandments, I can trust that God knows more than I do and is wiser than I am, so I can trust that His rules are worth following. Whether it's avoiding unseen dangers, securing beneficial natural consequences, or getting any other blessings from God, I'm sure that obeying the commandments always results in blessings, in this life and/or the next.

I don't always know why God's rules are so strict, but I know that He has His reasons, so I figure that that should be good enough for me.

No comments: