Sunday, April 18, 2021

Faith Talk - Initial Thoughts

Next week, I'm giving a short talk on President Nelson's recent talk about faith. There's so much good stuff in that talk, it's going to be hard to narrowing it down to just the points that will fit into a 5-10 minute talk.

As someone who has struggled with my faith recently, I'm almost considering talking about that, but the kind of people that that message might help aren't the kind of people who regularly attend church meetings, so maybe not.

As someone who's a fan of fantasy RPGs, I might talk about how some RPGs use "Faith" as a statistical characteristic, similar to Strength or Intelligence, and then rehash President Nelson's advice for how we can "level up our Faith stat." 

But honestly, I don't need to incorporate fantasy magic to make a talk on that topic work. Faith has real power. It may make sense to go over what President Nelson said about the real power of faith and how we can tap into it.

Then again, I don't want to just repeat his talk, as good as it was. I want to add something of merit to what he said, maybe elaborate on a point he made or at least distill it down to a core message, like really emphasizing the power of faith.

President Nelson said many amazing things about faith. My challenge now is to pick only a handful of those amazing things to focus on.

No comments: