Tuesday, April 13, 2021

The Diligence of a Sloth

This morning, I was talking to my friend about diligence and laziness. I told him that I often needed to get to work first thing in the morning, because, if I don't, I usually end up wasting a lot of time being lazy. But my friend said that knowing about that tendency and accounting for it is diligent, reminding me that some virtues can be born of vices. We work to overcome our weaknesses, and when we succeed, they can become strengths. I am naturally lazy, but as I strive to overcome my laziness, I deliberately act with diligence, and I may ultimately make a habit of being diligent, perhaps so much that I become a diligent person more than a lazy one.

I have many vices, but as I diligently strive to overcome them, I can turn those vices into virtues.

No comments: