Sunday, November 22, 2020

Hoping vs Having Hope

Ether 12:4 Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God.

I find this verse interesting because of the way it uses the word "Hope." Usually, hope is considered a flighty thing, like "I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow" or "I hope my favorite candidate and/or marble racing team wins the next election and/or marble race," but that's not the way the scriptures use hope. In the scriptures, hope isn't something someone does; it's something someone has. For example, I have hope that everything will work out alright in the end. Having hope in something is far more certain than hoping for it is. In scripture, hope is sure and steadfast and strong enough to anchor us to the truth of the gospel. I don't hope that everything will be okay. I have hope that it will.

No comments: