Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Seeking and Seeing Signs

After the brother of Jared saw the finger of the Lord, he made a rather bold request. The Lord asked the brother of Jared if he saw any more than His finger, "And he answered: Nay; Lord, show thyself unto me." Ether 3:10

I don't know if I'd have the guts to make a request like that. I know that the Lord grants blessings and can do miracles, but He rarely shows people signs, especially not a sign like that. Usually, the Lord requires us to walk by faith, so He doesn't give us clear, obvious signs.

Yet, the brother of Jared was a special case. He already had great faith, and he had shown his faith by being able to see the Lord's finger. And, once he had seen the Lord's finger, that was already about as clear a sign as seeing the Lord Himself.

So, the Lord gave the brother of Jared about as clear a sign as He has ever given anyone, but only after the brother of Jared had seen such a sign by proving that he didn't need to see a sign at all.

So, if I want to see a sign from God, I should follow the example of the brother of Jared and exercise enough faith to demonstrate that I don't need to see a sign. Probably the best way to get a sign is to show the Lord that you don't need one.

No comments: