Thursday, November 5, 2020

Second Chances Don't Come Cheap

One of the songs I like to listen to occasionally includes the line "second chances don't come cheap," and they really don't. One thing that I love and hate about the Gospel is that we get as many second chances as we need, but Jesus Christ had to pay for all of them. We can repent as many times as we need to and come back with a clean slate each time, but Jesus Christ still paid the price for all the sins we've ever committed, whether we've repented of them or not. We get second chances, but they didn't come cheap.

I wish they did. I wish our sins didn't cause Jesus suffering. I wish we could let go of our past mistakes without Jesus having to take them unto His own shoulders. But that's not how the world works. Every sinful decision causes Him pain, and He accepted that pain willingly in order to give us second and third and four-hundredth chances, because He knew we'd need them. So, I'm glad that we get second chances, but I'm less happy about how we got them.

So, let's not waste them. Sure, we can get as many second chances as we need, but the fewer we need, the fewer He had to pay for. Let's try not to need many second chances. They didn't come cheap.

No comments: