Sunday, November 8, 2020

Time and Attention

This afternoon, I watched a video which addressed, among other things, the common habit of praying before we go to bed. The speaker, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, said that, while it's always a good idea to pray, it's an especially good idea while we're still awake enough to give God a decent portion of our time and attention, instead of mumbling a few thoughts in His direction before falling asleep.

To help us focus our thoughts, we are encouraged to kneel (if we can), fold our arms, bow our heads, close our eyes, and actually say the words of our prayers, or at least mouth them, if we still want to be silent. Doing this can help us give God our full attention during the time we devote to praying and doing nothing else.

God deserves more of our time and attention, especially when we're praying to Him, so tonight, I'm going to spend more than my normal amount of time praying to God, and I'm going to do it on my knees, with my arms folded and head bowed and everything, and I'm going to give God my undivided attention. It's a sign of respect and purity of intent, and I think God deserves that.

No comments: