Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Overdoing It

I have enrolled in a Fitness class, and I may be overdoing it. On my first day, I worked longer than I should have, trying to familiarize myself with the workout machines and routine. On my second day, I worked out less, but I tried to go faster. And I was doing this while carrying a heavier-than-normal backpack and still biking to school and biking partway back. Many of my muscles are sore. My body is extremely tired, and my brain is terribly tired as well. I know that I'm growing stronger and more capable, but I think I need to be careful to not do too much too soon. I'm not stronger yet. For now, I need to work within my limits.

There's probably a spiritual analogy in there. Something about growing line upon line, or maybe that it's not requisite for a man to run faster than he has strength. The whole point of this church is progress, but progress is a process, and at any given moment, we can each only do so much more than we are already doing. We are going to become omnipotent gods, but for now, we're only human. We can only do so much. We can only progress so quickly. And if we try to force ourselves to go fast than we can, it's not going to go well for us.

I'm grateful for the progress I'm making, physically and spiritually, but it may be wise for me to stop overdoing it and try to progress at a more reasonable rate.

No comments: