Wednesday, August 10, 2022

What Knowledge and Wisdom I Had

Today, I made a decision that I later regretted. At the time, it seemed like a prudent move. With the information I had at the time, I made the decision that I thought was best. When new information came to light, I wished I had chosen differently. Still, perhaps it's a bit strong to say that I regret the decision I made. Sure, I now wish things had turned out differently, but I made the best decision I could with what knowledge and wisdom I had, and I don't regret doing that. Frankly, that's the best any of us can hope to do.

We are all finite beings. We are not all-knowing, and we are not all-wise. At any given moment, all we have to work with is the knowledge and wisdom we have at the time. Naturally, we can always obtain more knowledge and wisdom, but that's a double-edge sword. As our increased knowledge and wisdom helps us make better decisions, it also helps us judge the decisions we should or should not have made. We should try not to be too hard on our former selves for their lack of knowledge and wisdom. We're all doing the best we can with what we have. Our past decisions may not be the best ones we could have made, but they were often the best decisions we could think of making at the time.

And thankfully, we don't have to rely solely on our own knowledge and wisdom. We can ask people who have more knowledge and wisdom than we do for help with considering our options. Yet, finding those who have lots of knowledge and wisdom and identifying them as being knowledgeable and wise is itself a judgement call that we need to make with our limited knowledge and wisdom. Foolish people are often tricked into trusting the "wisdom" of foolish and/or false guides. Therefore, we must be prudent with regards of whose wisdom we consider, but that prudence is based on our own knowledge and wisdom, leading, again, to potentially regrettable decisions.

In the end, we only have so much knowledge and wisdom to work with, and we only have so much time to make decisions. At a certain point, we have to make the best decision we can, perhaps including decisions about whose information and wisdom to trust, using whatever knowledge and wisdom we have at the time. Sometimes, we just have to do our best and hope for the best. Earlier today, I made the decision that I, at the time, thought was best. Unfortunately, that didn't work out well this time, but that just means that I need to keep trying to increase my knowledge and wisdom (perhaps including my knowledge and wisdom of guides worth heeding) and gradually make wiser and better-informed decisions. In the meantime, I'm just going to do the best I can with what knowledge and wisdom I have and not fault my past self too badly for having done the same.

No comments: