Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Clarion Christians

As an adjective, "clarion" means loud and clear. The word is often applied to a trumpet which warns of danger or signals a call to gather or to action. These trumpets needed to be both loud and clear so their messages could cover great distances and be heard over the roar of battle.

In Let the Clarion Trumpet Sound, Elder Gregory A. Schwitzer of the Seventy compared the message of the gospel to a similar musical sound, both in the context of his grandson learning to play the piano and in the context of the message needing to be proclaimed loudly enough and clearly enough to be heard above the ever-increasing noise of the world.

I don't think that the world is getting more sinful in that the sins we're committing now are worse than the sins we (as a human race) were committing in previous ages. Yes, we are doing some terrible things, but they did terrible things in the dark ages as well. I also don't think that more people are sinning than in past ages. The population has grown significantly, but I think that the ratio of sinners to non-sinners has remained pretty much constant, though I could be wrong.

No, I think the reason that we, as a society, are drifting away from God is not that more of us are sinners or that we are sinning worse, but that we're giving God less of our attention. We get distracted. There are just so many other things on TV, on the internet, and on our phones, that we hardly spend any time with God any more. The music of the gospel is being drowned out by the noise of the world.

I can think of a few ways to counter this. First, it'd be nice if we could get more people to start playing the music of the gospel (i.e. more people should come to church). Second, it's important that we who know the music of the gospel play it as clearly clearly as we can, as loudly as we must, and as frequently as occasion permits. I'm not saying that we should be preachy or drive our friends away by being overzealous, but I am saying that we should try to behave like Christians, and we shouldn't shy away from the subject of religion whenever it comes up.

Recently, someone I was tutoring asked me about the CTR ring I was wearing, and because I was at work, I said that it was a religious thing and left it at that. Now I wish that I had gone into a little bit more detail. At least I could have said what the letters were, what they stood for, and that I wear the ring to remind me to try to be a disciple of Jesus Christ. That wouldn't have taken too long to say, and I think she might have been receptive, or at least respectful, if I had more fully answered her question.

I missed that opportunity to play the music of the gospel, but I'll try not to miss the next one. In a world full of noise and confusion, we could use that gospel sound to calm us, comfort us, and guide us. Let us learn to play the music of the gospel loudly and clearly, and to share that music with others as frequently as we may. I know that our lives and theirs will be blessed as a result of that. The music of the gospel is beautiful and soothing as well as encouraging and inspiring. I wish more people would play it and could hear it over the noise of the world.

2 comments:

motherof8 said...

It is tricky when we are in the work environment and we are caught off guard. So we need to learn to be prepared for questions. I understand your response to your student, but I also agree that you could have answered more fully. After all, "Choose The Right" is not a terribly, overtly religious phrase. Next time, you will be better ready. We should think about how we will answer questions without violating work place rules but while also planting seeds and opening the door for further discussion, maybe after work, or on break, or whatever. Something I need to think about more.

Perhaps you can still say, You asked about my ring, it stands for Choose the Right. If she shows any interest, suggest you talk later or email or FB chat. Whatever.

motherof8 said...

I should ask my favorite writing tutor about proper use of commas.