Friday, March 18, 2016

How to Make Temptations Less Tempting

As I read and listened to President Henry B. Eyring's talk, The Holy Ghost as Your Companion, several passages stood out to me. One of them spoke of one of the ways having the Spirit with us can be a blessing in our lives:
The companionship of the Holy Ghost makes what is good more attractive and temptation less compelling. That alone should be enough to make us determined to qualify for the Spirit to be with us always.
I want to be righteous. But a part of me wants other things instead. Sometimes, the temptations I feel feel almost too strong to resist. Yet, if I strive to be worthy to have the Holy Ghost with me, He can help me desire righteousness more than I desire wickedness. He can make that which is good seem more appealing and that which is evil seem less tempting.

In this world, temptation is all around us. We cannot avoid every temptation that we might face; we will inescapably have to face some of them. Yet, no temptation is completely inescapable. Though we can't always avoid facing temptations, we can weaken their power. If we have the Spirit with us, we will be less attracted to the things we know we should avoid, and instead, we will feel a stronger, but still gentle, pull toward that which will make us more like God.

At the start of his talk, President Eyring said that his purpose was to increase my desire and determination to always have the Lord's Spirit to be with me. He succeeded. Even without the blessings of personal revelation, feelings of inner peace, and always having someone I can talk to, the blessing of wanting the things I know I should want and not wanting the things I wish I didn't want is enough of a reason to make me want to have the Spirit with me always.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

A wonderful blessing to seek. I think I have experienced some of that, but I need to strengthen my relationship with the spirit.