Sunday, March 13, 2016

The Other Voice

Whether it's an effect of an over-active imagination or of having a close-but-casual relationship with the Spirit, I sometimes hear His voice (or what I imagine to be His voice) inside my head. The other day, I was feeling somewhat frustrated with something I was trying to do, and I heard a voice in my head that put additional pressure on me. I responded mentally, expressing my frustration, and then a voice that I'm reasonably certain came from the Spirit said "You know that wasn't me, right?"

As crazy as it sounds, we're not the only people inside our own heads. We often get guidance and inspiration from the Spirit, even if His influence is usually manifest in feelings rather than words. Additionally, the adversary frequently tries to creep in and subject us to temptation and to negative emotions. Given that these two will enter our minds as frequently as we let them, and that repelling either of them invites the other, we are virtually guaranteed that we are never alone with our thoughts. Though one of the hallmarks of insanity is to hear other voices inside your head, the truth is that we are very rarely without one.

These voices are always trying to guide us, either to salvation or to destruction. The insanity that we usually associate with hearing voices comes from listening too intently to the wrong voice. The other day, I listened, for one moment, to the wrong voice, and that led to me irritably snapping at myself. Thankfully, the voice of reason stepped in a moment later and set me straight again. I am very grateful to have the voice of the Spirit to guide me and help me through my life, even though admitting that I hear His voice makes me sound like I'm crazy, because, ironically, He's the one who's keeping me sane.

No comments: