Saturday, March 19, 2016

Gradual Slope

I noticed something as I was biking back from Folsom Lake today, namely that biking back was a lot easier than biking there. I didn't need to stop as often, not did I consume as much of my trail snacks on my return trip. This makes sense, since Folsom Lake is upstream of Sacramento, so logically, it would have to be uphill as well. The tricky part is that, even though the road to Folsom Lake had to have been predominately uphill, it seemed mostly flat. Yes, there was a section of massive hills rather close to Folsom Lake, but the rest of the road seemed pretty much flat. I only noticed that I had been going uphill when I compared it to how easy going downhill felt.

I wonder if going downhill and uphill can be compared to living with or without the help of the Spirit. Either way, life feels pretty much normal. Life is life. There are always going to be ups and downs, just as there were noticeable ups and downs on the way to and from Folsom Lake, but whether the ups seem to outnumber the downs depends mostly on a person's mood at the moment of being asked. But there is a difference between living with the Spirit and living without it, and though the difference is subtle enough that it can't easily be seen, it is also real enough to be strongly felt by those who have lived both ways.

I know that, personally, my life feels easier when I'm following the Spirit than when I'm not. The number of trials I face don't seem to increase or decrease either way, but there's a perceptible difference regardless. Life is easier when you're trying to live in harmony with the Gospel. The difference is subtle, and sometimes difficult to notice, but it is real and it is powerful. As an example of this power, I'm sure I could have written a decent blog post using just my own abilities, but it certainly is a lot easier when the Spirit helps me to find the right words. By the way, I'm sorry if there are any typos in here. It's kind of late as I'm writing this. It's totally my fault, not the Spirit leading me astray. Actually, He helped me find and correct a typo a short while ago, so if anything, this post should have fewer errors than my average late-night post. I'm rambling. I'm sorry.

I'm thankful for the Spirit's guidance to help us in own lives. I know that following the Spirit of Christ is easier than trying to live without its help and influence, even if that difference is subtle and difficult to notice.

No comments: