Saturday, July 6, 2019

A Cleaning/Learning Experience

This morning, I helped clean the church building as the Brighton Ward Building Cleaning Coordinator for the first time. It was a learning experience. We were a little short-staffed because I counted too many chickens before they hatched. We were not fully equipped because I forgot to bring some of the equipment I had been provided. And I had to deal with a few situations that I hadn't anticipated. However, despite all that, I think it went fairly well. We got the most important jobs done, and I learned some tips that I can use in future weeks. I expect that future weeks will go more smoothly, partly as a result of how bumpy this week was, and that, to me, sounds like a half-decent metaphor for life.

Life can be pretty rough. Sometimes we're put in difficult circumstances. Sometimes we make life harder by making dumb mistakes. And sometimes, just when we start to think we've got things more-or-less figured out, life throws us a curve ball or two. Life can be a challenging experience, but it's an experience that we can learn from. We can learn how to handle difficult circumstances, avoid dumb mistakes, and even predict or learn how to react well to curve balls. And everything we learn about life, we can use to help us get through the rest of our lives. Life is full of experiences we can learn from and experiences where we can use what we've learned.

So, I have a pretty positive outlook on how things worked out today. It didn't go half-badly, and what I learned today should help future cleaning days go even better. All in all, it was a positive experience, partly because it was also a learning experience.

No comments: