Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Washing out Scarlet

When I first heard Sister Eugene's talk, I was so caught up in her light analogy that I completely missed another point she made later on (or maybe I just wasn't listening; I can't remember). She said that scarlet is colorfast, meaning that once it has dyed a piece of fabric, the color never comes out. Apparently, crimson is the same way. So, when the scriptures say, "though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool," it's a reference to the impossibly great power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Christ's cleansing power is so great, it can wash out that which could not otherwise be washed out. Without the Atonement, our sins would be permanent stains on our souls, but thanks to the Atonement, even the most persistent stains and dyes can be removed, and our souls can be made clean again. That is an amazing blessing, and I thank God that Christ's power to cleanse our souls is more powerful than any dye or stain.

No comments: