Tuesday, July 2, 2019

The Poor Performance Paradox

I am (somehow still) learning that, in this life, we have to be okay with not being good at certain things. In areas where we have little experience, we will have little skill, but the only way we can gain experience is by practicing that skill. We have to be willing to do something poorly in order to get in the practice we need in order to do it well. If we shy away from doing things because we don't do them well, we will never learn how to do them better. I need to learn to accept my lack of skill in certain areas for now and to keep trying to do my best in those areas regardless. I can't let my embarrassing lack of skill prevent me from developing enough skill to stop embarrassing myself. I will get better with practice, but to do so, I need to be willing to perform poorly.

No comments: