Sunday, December 29, 2019

Good Goals

Today, I watched a Youtube video about why many New Year's Resolutions become abandoned. People tend to bite off more than they can chew and to leave their goals too vague to actually accomplish. People concern themselves with what they want to accomplish, not what steps they need to take in order to get there. I don't think I fell for that trap with my resolutions, but I could easily do that with my ultimate goal.

Ultimately, I want to become perfect and qualify to live in the highest layer of the Celestial Kingdom, but that is and incredibly lofty goal, and there are countless thousands of smaller steps I need to take in order to reach that lofty goal. If I had set "Become Worthy of the Celestial Kingdom" as my New Year's Resolution, I would certainly fail. It's a hard goal to reach, and I have no plan. Instead, it's recommended to break down lofty goals into tiny, achievable steps. For example, I'm going to try to draw nearer to God through Prayer, Hymns, and Meditation, and I have set specific times to perform specific actions to accomplish that goal. My hope is that being nearer to God will give me greater access to God's guidance, which will help me identify my next steps. The ultimate goal is still the same, but the current goal is a specific and manageable step toward that goal.

When I watched that Youtube video earlier today, I had been hoping for some guidance to help me improve my goal, but it turns out that I actually had the right idea. It's a small goal, but that means I know that I can do it. It won't get me far, but it is a step in the right direction. And it's specific and focused enough that I know exactly what I'm going to do. I have good goals for my New Year's Resolutions. I hope you do, too.

No comments: