Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Time is (Somehow Surprisingly) Short

The end of the semester has snuck up on me. We came back from Thanksgiving break, and suddenly, there are only two weeks left in the semester, more like a week and a half at this point, including only one weekend in which to write the final papers for my classes. Thankfully, they don't seem to be huge or terribly complex assignments, but I thought I would have more time to work on them.

Of course, life is like that sometimes. We don't always see what's up ahead of us, even when it should be fairly clear. I knew that the semester only lasted until mid-December, and I knew that Thanksgiving break went right up to the end of November. I knew for half of the semester that I had these assignments coming up some time in the future, but I didn't pay much attention to that. I didn't look far enough ahead in my calendar. Now the end of the semester is only a week and a half away, and I'm not entirely prepared for that.

I hope I'm better prepared for the Second Coming or for my own death, when that time comes. I know it's coming, and I have a vague idea that one or the other will happen within my lifetime. I have a handful of decades, tops, before I need to be ready for Judgment. Will I be ready? Or will I procrastinate indefinitely, continually thinking that "some time in the future" will always be "some time in the future"?

The semester is almost over. "Some time in the future" is happening now. Very soon, I will have to turn my papers in, and when I do, I'll have wished I had spent more time on them. As long there's nothing more than my grades at stake, that's not a terribly huge deal, but when my immortal soul is at stake, I hope I will feel that I had spent an adequate amount of time preparing for that.

No comments: