Sunday, December 8, 2019

Two Paths to the Same Place

One of the Youtube videos I watched today was from one of the more scientifically-oriented channels I follow, and they provided further evidence for something that I had always suspected. The video is titled "An Antidote for Dissatisfaction," and the proposed antidote is Gratitude. The video suggests that the more we exercise gratitude for what we have, the happier and more satisfied we'll be. But that isn't what I suspected. I already knew that from listening to the Prophets and Apostles. What I suspected was that, once scientific knowledge caught up with religious knowledge (and/or vice versa), the two sources of knowledge would reinforce each other. Truth is truth, and if any path to knowledge ultimately leads to truth, they're both going to lead to the same conclusions, even if they take different routes to get there.

That's why I'm not outright dismissive of Creationism or the Theory of Evolution. They seem to contradict each other, but that doesn't mean that one is right and the other is wrong. Maybe there's a piece of the puzzle we're missing that ties the two together. Maybe God created all species via evolution. I'm not sure exactly what the answer is, but some day I will be because at that time, both science and religion will be giving me the same answer. Now, I don't know whether science will find out that God created the animals or whether God will reveal that evolution was a key tool of creation, or whether science and religion will both give us some other answer entirely, but I believe that there will be a time when the truth is supported by both of these sources of it.

Science caught on that gratitude is a key to satisfaction, and one day, God will teach us the same Laws of Physics that science has already begun unraveling. As long as both of these sources are pointing us toward truth, we shouldn't be surprised to find that both of these paths lead us to the same places.

No comments: