Thursday, December 26, 2019

Morning and Evening Prayers

I know that this has nothing to do with Christmas, but our family just read Alma 37, and I read some good advice in verse 37:
Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.
Now, the ideas of counseling with the Lord and having morning and evening prayers are nothing new. We've had that advice basically forever. Yet, I often fail to remember it, so this was a good reminder for me. I especially like the idea of prayer being the first and the last thing I do each day. I'm going to give it a shot and see how long it lasts. Maybe I'll make a resolution of it, for what that's worth.

I want to draw closer to God. This blog is supposed to help me do that, but praying more often would certainly help, too. Maybe I should make a list of things I could do to help me draw closer to God and choose some of them to focus on in 2020. Prayer and scripture study could certainly be on that list. I'll try to think of other things to add to the list tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'm going to start by trying to remember to pray more often, at least in the morning and evening. I should pray more frequently; multiple times daily wouldn't be too many, and I really like the idea of beginning and ending every day with prayer.

No comments: