Saturday, December 28, 2019

Why Today Felt Like Christmas

Today was great. Today really felt like Christmas, even more than December 25th did. Today, I went to my sister's house. I exchanged gifts with members of my family and watched other family members exchange gifts with each other. We played with our new toys, ate plenty of treats, and played together at the park. Then, at home, we opened a few more gifts, watched a movie, and stayed up late playing a game. We had a lot of fun today, and we did it as a family.

I guess that's what I really love about Christmas: having fun as a family. This is especially true when it means having fun playing with new toys and/or games that we gave each other, but I suppose that isn't necessary. We can have fun together anytime, doing anything. We don't have to be playing with something new. Sure, the new toys and games are exciting, and the fun of the game is enhanced by our gratitude for the game and our gratitude (and/or relief) that the game was well-received, but what's really important is that we share the experience with family.

I think that's why today felt more like Christmas than Christmas did. On Christmas day itself, we didn't do much, and we certainly didn't do much together. Today, a lot more happened. There was much more excitement and many more activities, and most, if not all of those activities were done in groups.

What I've learned from this experience is that I want to play games with my family more often. Often, when we get together, we generally do either of two things: watch a show together or play games by ourselves. One is passive, and the other is solitary. If we want to recapture the fun of Christmas, we will instead need to actively do fun things together. That's what I want to do because today was a fun day. I'd love to have more days like it, and I thankfully don't have to wait until Christmas to do it.

No comments: