Sunday, December 15, 2019

Too Much "Christmas"

The problem with Christmas is that there's too much of it. Too many songs. Too many treats. Too many presents. Too many parties and concerts and other events. Too many distractions from the core purpose of Christmas. Heck there are even too many reminders of the true meaning of Christmas, preaching to the choir for the umpteenth time.

I'm kind of sick of it.

Christmas parties are nice, for the people who like them. Christmas songs are nice, in moderation. Christmas presents are nice gestures, until/unless we stress out about them.

Christmas isn't supposed to be stressful. It isn't supposed to be noisy. It isn't supposed to burn people out or drive people crazy. It's supposed to be peaceful, spiritual, and quiet. I could really go for some peace and quiet.

So, for the rest of the Christmas season, I'm going to try to cut back as much as possible. I'll sing a few Christmas songs, exchange a few gifts, and maybe hang up a few lights, but other than that, I'm going to try to keep everything to a minimum. I want to simplify my Christmas this year. Maybe that'll help me feel the Spirit instead of feeling stress.

I don't have a problem with Christmas itself. I have a problem with the noise that typically comes with Christmas. I want to cut out as much of the noise as possible, leaving only a nice, simple, reverent Christmas. I really hope this works.

No comments: