Sunday, December 22, 2019

In the Bleak Midwinter

Until recently, I wasn't familiar with a Christmas carol titled In the Bleak Midwinter. I heard an instrumental version recently and looked up the lyrics. From what I found, the idea of the song seems to be that, Jesus Christ was willing to be born in very humble circumstances, despite His divine nature. He was worthy of heaven, yet He was willing to be born on Earth, "In the Bleak Midwinter." He had been worshiped by angels, yet He was satisfied with the adoration of farm animals. This all reminded me of how humble Jesus was. He knew that most of the world wouldn't recognize Him for who He was, but He only cared about that for their sakes, not for the sake of His ego. He was willing live among mortals, to temporarily give up the paradise of Heaven, all for our sakes. He loved us so much that He was willing to leave Heaven in order to give us a way to return. I'm thankful that He did that. I'm grateful that Jesus Christ was willing to come to Earth, to live among us, to suffer with us, and to die for us. He was the Son of God, yet He was willing to be human for 33 years, for our sakes. That's love.

No comments: