Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Ask, Seek, and Knock... For What?

3 Nephi 14:7-8 Ask, and it shall be given unto you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. 
 
For every one that asketh, receiveth; and he that seeketh, findeth; and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened.

Doesn't this kinda depend on what you ask for? For example, if I pray and ask God for one million dollars, does that mean that God will give me one million dollars? I don't think it works that way. God doesn't always give us what we ask for. He gives us what we need.

Yet, we might still get whatever we seek for, depending on how we seek it. God won't just give me one million dollars, but He will allow me to earn it, if I can. If I seek riches, I can obtain them, not as a blessing from God, but as a natural result of my choices.

I'm not exactly sure how the knocking works in this case. It's a little too abstract. What are we knocking on? What does it mean to knock? What does it mean to have "it" open to us? 

I don't know, but I do know that even though God will only ever give us good things, no matter what we ask for, He will let us get just about anything we can get ourselves, good or bad. We must remember to only seek and ask for good things, or we'll regret it, either because we won't get it, or worse, because we will.

No comments: