Friday, September 4, 2020

The Lamanites Hath He Hated

Helaman 15:4 But behold my brethren, the Lamanites hath he hated because their deeds have been evil continually, and this because of the iniquity of the tradition of their fathers. But behold, salvation hath come unto them through the preaching of the Nephites; and for this intent hath the Lord prolonged their days.

Can anyone explain this? I have always been taught that God loves all His children, perhaps even unconditionally, so how is it possible that He "hated" the Lamanites?

The last time I disagreed with a prophet, the issue may have been a question of context. I agree that people are less than the dust of the earth in some ways, but I do not agree that people are less than the dust of the earth in all ways or overall. There are ways in which we could both be right, depending on the context.

However, I'm not sure under what context this conflict could be resolved. Maybe God loved each Lamanite individually, but hated them collectively, as a group? That doesn't make much sense to me, but maybe. What makes more sense to me would be to say that God loves the Lamanites, but hated their behavior, but that's not what Samuel the Lamanite said.

Is there a way that God could have loved and hated the Lamanites at the same time? Maybe, but love and hate seem like polar opposite emotions.

I'm frankly at a loss to see how it's possible that God can love all His children unconditionally and also have ever hated the Lamanites. If anyone can explain this, please do. I'd like to understand this.

No comments: