Sunday, September 13, 2020

Unimpressed by Miracles

3 Nephi 7:19 And in the name of Jesus did he cast out devils and unclean spirits; and even his brother did he raise from the dead, after he had been stoned and suffered death by the people.

20 And the people saw it, and did witness of it, and were angry with him because of his power; and he did also do many more miracles, in the sight of the people, in the name of Jesus.

What I find amazing as I read about Nephi in this chapter is how amazing his miracles were, yet the people hated him for it. At this point, the people weren't impressed by miracles at all. I find that almost ridiculous, but I also wonder how true that is with us. If we saw miracles like that, how impressed would we be? If we saw a person working miracles, would we think they were a prophet, or would we suspect they were a charlatan, a magician, or even a devil-worshiper? There are few good people who can work miracles, but lots of wicked people who might pretend to.

So, maybe I shouldn't be too quick to judge. I'd like to think that, if I saw someone raised from the dead, I'd know it was a miracle, but really, I think I'd wonder if the guy was ever really dead.

No comments: