Friday, September 4, 2020

Permitted to Act For Yourselves

Helaman 14:30 And now remember, remember, my brethren, that whosoever perisheth, perisheth unto himself; and whosoever doeth iniquity, doeth it unto himself; for behold, ye are free; ye are permitted to act for yourselves; for behold, God hath given unto you a knowledge and he hath made you free.

This sounds very fair to me. God lets us make our own choices, and, unless we repent, He then lets us face the natural consequences of our choices. In fact, even repentance follows this pattern. Repenting is a choice, and the consequence of that choice is forgiveness. I am grateful for the amount of freedom God gives us, and I'm grateful that He lets us make and learn from our own mistakes. I'm grateful for His warnings and for His commandments, but I'm glad that, instead of forcing us to act according to His will, He gives us the freedom to act for ourselves.

No comments: