Thursday, September 17, 2020

"I Have Suffered the Will of the Father"

3 Nephi 11:11 And behold, I am the light and the life of the world; and I have drunk out of that bitter cup which the Father hath given me, and have glorified the Father in taking upon me the sins of the world, in the which I have suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning.

I don't want to be exactly like Jesus Christ. I don't want to do what He did. I don't want to "[drink] out of that bitter cup which the Father hath given me." I don't want to suffer.

But I know that suffering is unavoidable, and I know that it's better to suffer now than later. Since I have to suffer, I might as well suffer for a good cause.

Still, I'd have been right there with Jesus, asking God to let the cup pass from me. I don't like suffering. Jesus' or mine or anybody else's. I would rather that people not have to suffer.

But, given that it has to happen, I suppose I'd rather get it over with than prolong it. I'd rather suffer the will of the Father than try to fight against it. Given that I have to suffer, I'd rather have the kind of suffering that leads to blessings than the kind of suffering that is eternal.

No comments: