Sunday, October 6, 2019

An Attainable Goal

The great thing about my current life goal is that I know it's attainable. Often, I set lofty, worthwhile goals, but then I fall short, possibly because I lack the confidence to succeed. This time, I am perfectly confident that I can regain my favorite characteristics because there was once a time when I had them. I'm not trying to become better than I can be; I'm trying to re-become as good as I once was. I know I can do it because I already did. I just need to do it again.

Applying similar logic, I suppose we can just as confidently overcome Satan's temptations and follow God's plan for our salvation and exaltation. We did it before. In theory, we've been doing it for longer than we've been alive. We overcame Satan's temptations before we were born. We can certainly do so now.

Naturally, what I say isn't completely certain to be true. Circumstances change. What was possible at one time under one set of circumstances might become impossible at a different time under different circumstances. I don't know if anything has changed in my life that would prevent me from becoming the same man I once was, but we have all undergone a colossal change since the pre-mortal council. We all have bodies now.

Still, while that change is a drastic one, it doesn't necessarily change the fact that we can, indeed, overcome Satan's temptations. In fact, we've been told by the scriptures and prophets that the power to choose good or evil still lies with us. We had the power to choose good before, and we have the power to choose good again.

Similarly, I believe that I still have the power to be as good as I was a few years ago, and I know how I'm going to do it. More physical activity, especially for fun, or for tasks in which I can find the fun. More spiritual observation, especially with an eye toward finding things to blog about before too late in the evening. And, though I havn't blogged about this yet, more music appreciation, especially the sort of music that has energy and pep in it, the kind that's energizing and easy to dance to, not just pretty or emotional or reverent. I need music that makes me smile and makes me want to move in beat with the music, but I can blog more about that later. For now, I want to take care of the dishes, maybe watch one more Youtube video, and go to bed well before I become desperately tired.

I've set a precedent. I have been a more successful person than I am now, and I can be that good again.

No comments: