Thursday, October 10, 2019

Priceless or Worthless?

While we're on the subjects of worth an worthlessness, I want to tell you about something I found the other day. Two days ago, I found a ring lying on the ground at a light rail station. The ring was silver in color and had clear crystals on it, but it didn't have any markings on it that gave any clue as to whom it might have belonged to. I thought that it could possibly be a real, silver and diamond ring, or it could be a worthless piece of plastic. It could have been priceless, or it could have been worthless, and I wasn't fully sure how to tell.

In life, it's important to be able to tell what has real value and what doesn't, not just because that ability could save you from being scammed out of a lot of money, but also because it can affect our eternal well-being. To many people value temporal things too much and spiritual things too little. Some people think that money and power and fame are worth spending a great deal of time acquiring, leaving little time left for spiritual things, which they judge to be far less valuable. Misvaluing things can be the cause of great disappointment and regret, both in this life and the next. This is why we must be careful to correctly determine what is truly priceless and what is truly worthless.

As for the ring, I figure that it's probably worthless. It's not heavy enough to feel like real metal, and there are some spots where the blemishes make me believe that the ring is fake. However, knowing the importance of not devaluing things that are truly priceless, I'm going to try to find out how to report the ring as being found, just in case anybody's looking for it. Maybe I'll take it to some light rail lost and found, maybe I'll take it straight to a police station, I'm not sure. But I am sure that, in case it truly has value, I should probably treat it as such.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

Take it to light rail lost and found. 1225 R. It looks cheap, but it might matter to someone.