Friday, October 4, 2019

Physical Activity

Yesterday, as part of turning my day around, I jumped across a bench. I am, or at least was, a spry, athletic, young man. Granted, I am not actually an athlete, but I am or was the kind of person who might jump on something or balance across things, just because I can.

At some point, I stopped doing that. Maybe it's just that my pants were too tight, or maybe I just caved and fell in line with the expectations of society, but I stopped running (unless I was late for something), I stopped jumping, and I stopped balancing. That may be part of the reason I've been so out-of-balance - I'm out of practice. I sit too much. I sit when I'm at work, when I'm in a class, and when I'm on a computer. Between those three things, I'm sitting most of the time, and most of my movement is just to get from one seat to another.

In the future, I'd like to change that. I'd like to move more, to run more, to jump and balance more. And if that means that people look at me funny, tough. I need more physical activity in my life to help me balance out all the physical rest I get. I'll invest in looser, more comfortable pants if I have to, but I will find a way to get back to having more physical activity in my life.

No comments: