Thursday, October 31, 2019

Which Layer of Heaven?

When a D&D character dies, their spirit goes to one of the Outer Planes, depending largely on that character's alignment. Many, though not all, Lawful Good characters, like Valonor Kharagon, go to The Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia, or Mount Celestia for short. As its name suggests, Mount Celestia is a great, celestial mountain, divided into seven layers. One reaches the higher layers only by ascending through the lower ones, and only if they choose to do so. At any layer, one could choose to stay and live there forever. That's what I imagine Valonor Kharagon did. His God, Bahamut, has a fortress that can be found on the second layer of Mount Celestia, second (to be specific) from the bottom, and that is where Kharagon would choose to stay - where his God is.

But this leads me to wonder, will I continue to strive to end up where my God is, or will I find myself content to live on some lower layer of heaven? I know that the highest layer of the Celestial Kingdom is the best possible afterlife, and it's the only place where one can take full advantage of all the blessings God can offer us, but still, it's an awfully long climb, and those blessings are easily passed over by those who don't know what they're missing. Besides, I've heard that the lower layers of heaven are actually still really nice - much better than here, anyway. I can easily picture myself getting comfortable on a lower layer of heaven and never progressing any farther than that.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I want to make my Heavenly Father proud, but I also want to relax. I like blessings, but many of those blessings come with responsibilities that I would rather avoid. I value goodness, but I also value comfort. I want to progress, but I'm not sure how far I want to progress. The thought that we can progress to the same point God has reached sounds amazing, but also daunting. I'll never climb Mount Everest; it's almost unthinkable for me to climb a mountain that's infinitely taller than that.

I like Eternal Progression, but I'm not certain that I'll make full use of it. I'll strive to overcome my shortcomings, but that might be about it for me. I'm not sure I like the idea of becoming a God. And while I enjoy hikes, climbing up a figurative mountain on that scale sounds like far too much work to me. I might settle for a lower layer, though a part of me hopes I don't.

One of the problems with Eternal Progress is that it takes an eternity. I don't currently have that kind of patience and ambition. If I were to die right now, I'd probably settle for one of the lower levels of Heaven, at least for a long while. The only clincher is that I'd want to be where my family will be, and one can only by with their family in the uppermost layer(s). That might be worth striving for. But if it was just the other benefits, including godhood, I'm not sure it'll be worth the the effort.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

I also think godhood sounds extremely daunting. But I remember a time when I thought it physically impossible to master the hand, eye, foot coordination necessary to drive a stick. I eventually came to enjoy it. I think by the time we get there or even start to get close - eons from now - it will seem much more manageable.

I understand considering a comfort zone, but thought of my family makes me want more. If only I would remember day by day and moment by moment to strive in that direction.