Monday, April 27, 2020

Another Kind of Indestructibility

As I work on my spiritual defenses, of course I'd like to become indestructible. I'd like to have impenetrable armor and an impervious shield, so I could fend off all attacks flawlessly. After all, one way to make sure you win a fight is to make sure you never even get injured. However, that's not entirely practical. No one makes it through life unscathed. Everyone slips up occasionally. Everyone sins. We all frequently need the healing power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

Yet, that may be the key to another kind of indestructibility. The main thing that makes Wolverine and Deadpool so impossible to kill is that they heal so fast. In D&D, the party healer usually spends a few rounds during and/or after each fight making sure everyone in the party has plenty of HP. And in a mobile game I play from time to time, it's not uncommon for the main character to end a battle with more HP than he had going into the fight.

The same can be true for me. Sure, I can't always prevent myself from ever getting injured in the first place, but I can make sure I heal those spiritual injuries as quickly as they occur. As long as I repent every time I sin, I can retain a remission of my sins. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm justified in letting myself commit sin; I still need to resist temptation as hard as I can, but I have a solid plan in place for if and when I slip up. I'm going to avoid injury as much as I can, but when I fail, I'll seek healing. And between how difficult it is to injure me and how quickly I recover from those injuries, I believe that I can become virtually indestructible.

No comments: