Sunday, April 26, 2020

Physical and Spiritual Exercise

This afternoon, I went for a short hike. Actually, I walked nearly five miles with the aid of two walking sticks. Now, one might rightly say that the Sabbath isn't the best day to take a hike, but I had a specific purpose in mind. I went to have a walk and talk with God. Normally, I would go to the temple for that, but in lieu of a temple, Nephi would often go to a mountain, and in lieu of a mountain, I went for a walk in the park.

I won't share everything that was discussed, but I will say that we discussed the similarities between physical and spiritual exercise. In order to gain physical or spiritual strength, we have to practice doing things that require such strength. For example, I can strengthen my legs by hiking, and I can strengthen my faith by praying. It requires some leg strength to walk, and it requires some faith to talk to a God whom we can't see, but the more we do those things, the stronger our legs and our faith gets. In fact, since the body and spirit are connected, the connection between physical and spiritual exercise may run deeper than mere similarity.

I want greater strength, both physically and spiritually, and I know that there's only one way to get it. Exercise takes diligence and discipline, but it's the only way to gain the strength I need. Naturally, I'd rather not need that strength. I'd rather not be tempted or required to do strenuous physical work, but we don't always get what we want. This is a fallen world, and in this fallen world, we need to do physical work and resist temptation. And if we want to get good at either of those things, we need to exercise.

No comments: