Thursday, April 23, 2020

Commute

This quarantine is really starting to bother me, and I think I know why: I don't have a commute anymore. The funny thing is that my commute had always been something of a nuisance. I had to plan my schedule around public transportation, only to find trains and buses going off schedule anyway. If I was running late, the bus would come early, and I'd miss it. If I was running early, the bus would run late, and I'd have to wait at the bus stop for ages. Actually, my commute involved a lot of waiting -- waiting for the bus to come, waiting for the bus to get me to the train station, waiting for the train, and so on. My commute wasted a lot of my time. Yet, that time was never really wasted.

During my commutes, I had a lot of time to keep to myself and just... think. There weren't usually a lot of people around, and everyone generally left each other alone. There wasn't much social interaction, and for a significant portion of the trip, there was no social interaction at all. Plus, there was a little bit of exercise, assuming walks that short count for anything at all. My commute used to be even better when I rode my bike. I ought to start doing that again.

One solution I've heard is, to spite the quarantine, to commute anyway. Just get out and bike around the block, or walk to the corner and back. Just get out, move a bit, enjoy the air that's fresher than normal, get some exercise, and take some time to think and shift gears (perhaps literally) before "going to work" or to school or wherever. Many of us may be working as schooling from home these days, but that doesn't mean we can't still commute to home, from home, via any route we choose. It's healthy, mentally, physically, and perhaps even spiritually. I've communed with God over my commutes before. I should do that again, and soon.

No comments: