Thursday, April 2, 2020

Otter Envy

Today, a friend and I traded video recommendations, which led to me watching videos made by a person with a pet otter. I remarked on how cute the otter looked and sounded, with its long body and little ears. I admitted to being a little jealous. Yet, there were two caveats to my jealousy. First, I had a feeling that caring for an otter isn't easy. He looked cute, but he also looked like a handful. Second, my family already has a posse of pets who, despite their flaws, make fine companions.

I realized, as I watched those otter videos, that I was looking at the grass on the other side of the fence. Why should I be jealous of an otter when I already have a big, warm furball purring in my lap? Sure, I would rather that she not claw through my pajamas, but to that end, I can wear pants with thicker fabric. I imagine that the downsides of owning an otter can't be allayed as easily as putting on a pair of pants. Yes, the otter was cute, but why should I be jealous of someone else's pet when I already live with a handful of nice pets?

Watching those videos helped me remember that counting one's own blessings leads to a happier life than daydreaming about someone else's. God has already blessed me with a good life that includes good pets. I know better than to be jealous of someone else's.

No comments: