Monday, April 6, 2020

Slow Progress

Today, I had a conversation that helped me realize a few things about progress, particularly the timescale on which one can expect it to happen. During that conversation, I realized that I'm basically the same person as I was several years ago, spiritually speaking. I still have many of the same thoughts and struggles that I had years ago. I haven't made much spiritual progress over the years, and that's fairly discouraging. Yet, in the same conversation, I also realized that that might not be as big a problem as I fear. Sure, I haven't made much spiritual progress in the last few years, at least not as far as I could tell, but I have more than a few years worth of time in which to make progress. I have an eternity of progress ahead of me. What matters isn't my rate of progress, but my consistency. As long as I continually get better, no matter the rate, I will eventually reach the goal of perfection. Any [Positive] Speed x Infinite Time = Infinite Distance. So, I shouldn't get discouraged if progress seems to take forever. Instead, I should embrace that and keep making progress forever. Life isn't a sprint; it's a marathon. The goal isn't to have quick, flash-in-the-pan results, but to make real, eternal (albeit slow) progress.

No comments: