Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Good Gifts

Moroni 10:18 And I would exhort you, my beloved brethren, that ye remember that every good gift cometh of Christ.

Many gifts are being exchanged this month, and I'm sure that some people have wondered whether the gifts they're giving to others are "good gifts" or not. There are many possible metrics one could use to measure the "goodness" of a gift, form the cost or value of the gift to the amount of time or effort that was put into the gift, but I think that the best metric for measuring the goodness of a gift is the amount of love that went into the gift. Now, that love can take the form of time or effort or personal (monetary) sacrifice, but it's just as likely to take the form of thought or care or a desire to bring joy to the recipient. Gifts don't have to be flashy or expensive to be good gifts. They just have to come from a place of love. And since Jesus Christ is the source of all love, I suppose it could be said that all good gifts, or at least the goodness of all good gifts, come from Christ.

I may be taking Moroni's words way out of context, and I'm probably being too literal, but I'm not trying to say that all of our Christmas Presents come from Jesus Christ. I'm trying to say that all good gifts come from the heart. If there is love behind the gift, then, in my opinion, it is a good gift.

No comments: