Friday, May 14, 2021

The Importance of Rubik's Cubes

I love Rubik's Cubes. I love turning the sides with my hands, moving the pieces around, creating disorder, and then creating order again. I like the sense of accomplishment I get from solving the Rubik's Cube quickly or with only one hand. I know that the thing is practically pointless, barely more than a toy, but it gives me some satisfaction.

Many things are similarly unimportant, mere toys or games. Yet, these unimportant, fictional things can have real, important effects on people. The media we consume (including social media and the news), the games we play (with or without such things as boards, cards, or dice), and everything else we do or interact with, has an effect on us. Even if we know that such things aren't real or important, the effects they have on us are.

Rubik's Cubes are important, at least for me, because they help me feel better about myself. Feeling good about oneself is important, and it's fortunate that Rubik's Cubes have the effect on me. I encourage you to think about the toys, games, and other media in your life, and think about what effects they have on you. Some things are surprisingly important. Other things are important to avoid. It's important to know which is which.

Personally, there are several toys, games, and pieces of media in my life that I acknowledge have little eternal significance. Yet, I know that they have effects on me. And so long as those effects are good, the things that have those effects can be considered to be important, at least to me.

No comments: