Sunday, May 2, 2021

We Need Each Other

Last night, I stumbled upon a song titled Each Other, by and artist called Notaker, and it hit me pretty hard. The song spoke of hardship and difficulty and of needing someone, but the refrain of the song speaks of needing each other. I know that I need God's help, especially when times are hard, but does God ever need mine? I think so, for one very important reason: He's not here.

God has a physical body, and wherever that body is, it's probably not on Earth. At the very least, it's not everywhere on Earth at once. Ditto for Jesus. The Holy Ghost can be everywhere at once, but, not having a body, there are some severe limitations on what He can do. If God wants something done, like delivering cookies or flowers to people, He either needs to perform a rather significant miracle, send an angel or some other celestial being to do it, or ask us to. So, God doesn't really need us, but He could definitely use our help.

And when it comes to our personal decisions, He definitely needs our help. What we struggle most with in this life is temptation, and while it's true that we sometimes need God's help in resisting temptation, He also needs ours. Even with all His miracles and angels, He can't make our decisions for us, and even if He could force us to make the right decisions, doing so would thwart His aims. We need His strength and wisdom to have the power to make he right choices, but He needs us to actually make the decisions ourselves.

And so, when we get right down to it, we really do need each other. We need God to lend us His strength and wisdom, and He needs us to exercise our agency. Neither He nor I could thwart my demons on our own. We need each other's help. I'm comforted in the knowledge that God and I are in this together and that we're both essential parts of this partnership. It's nice to feel needed. And it's impressive that, as much as we need God to do His part, He needs us to do ours.

I already knew that I needed Him, but last night, that song taught me that we need each other.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

As a mother, I have strong desires for my children to be good people, be well, happy, and to like me. I can survive without any of those things, but I am much happier with them. So in a sense, I need my children. I think it is the same for God.