Friday, September 10, 2021

"As a Man Speaketh"

I recently had an experience that reminded me of something Nephi said about a conversation he had with an angel.

1 Nephi 11:11 ...for I spake unto him as a man speaketh; for I beheld that he was in the form of a man; yet nevertheless, I knew that it was the Spirit of the Lord; and he spake unto me as a man speaketh with another.

But as I was looking for that scripture, I found another that I like even better.

Exodus 33:11 And the Lord spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend...

I really love these scriptures and the concept behind them. Granted, I know that these are biblically exceptional experiences, but they don't have to be. The experience I alluded to earlier was coming to the realization that when I communicate with the Holy Spirit, we talk to each other the same way any two people talk to each other. We basically just talk.

I'm sure some people and religious count it as blasphemous to have casual conversations with deity, to speak with them "as a man speaketh with another" or "as a man speaketh unto his friend," but I don't think it is. After all, Elohim is our God and Jesus is our Messiah, but they're still family. And one day, if we're careful and perseverant, we'll be just as great and glorious as they are. Then why should we not speak as equals? In terms of our potential, that's exactly what we are. And having a close relationship with deity will only increase our chances of realizing that potential. At the very least, speaking to them "as a man speaketh," makes it easier to pray, which we are supposed to do always. 

So, blasphemous or not, I'm going to continue to speak to the Spirit (and to God through His Spirit) "as a man speaketh unto his friend." I want to be God's friend, not His servant, and not His enemy. And one way to foster such a friendship is be speaking with Him as a friend. Nephi did it. Moses did it. And so will I.

No comments: