Sunday, September 19, 2021

The Great Outdoors

Today, I had a picnic with my family, and it was great. The food and the company were both wonderful. But the thing I loved most about the picnic was that it got me to spend a great deal of time outside.

I don't normally spend much time outside. I sunburn easily, and thanks to the digital age (and the pandemic) taking my classes and my tutoring work both online, I hardly need to go outside at all, even for commuting. And sure, I take the dog for walks occasionally, and I still go to church and to my D&D games, but other than that, I typically stay indoors.

Except today. And today was the perfect day for it. Sure, the wind was a bit much part of the time, but the wind died down, temperature stayed cool, and there was plenty of shade. There were lots of trees, and I got to take a moment to listen to the breeze pass through the leaves and to just breathe. It was great.

And that wouldn't have happened if I spent the whole time on my phone or if I was just passing through the outside world because I had somewhere else to be.

I'm glad that I got to spend several refreshing hours outside today, and the food and family were great, too.

No comments: