Monday, May 23, 2022

Do Games Count?

I have a bit of a question about morality, and the answer will possibly change the way I play games (and/or the way I react to the ways in which others play games). Do deeds done in games count for good or evil in real life? For example, if I, or any game player, rescue an innocent NPC from near certain death or do any other good act in a game, would that count as Good in real life? Alternatively, if I, or any game player, kill a (mostly) innocent NPC or do any other evil act in a game, would that count as Evil in real life? Do deeds done in game cound as moral or immoral acts IRL? Either way, I believe that the answer should be consistent, unless there's a compelling reason for it not to be. If "Playing Evil" is Evil IRL, then "Playing Good" should be Good IRL for similar reasons, unless there are very good reasons for it not to be.

I can see myself saying "Yes, it shoud," or "No, it shoudn't" apply in real life. Naturally, one could argue that what happens in a game has no bearing on real life because it's "just a game." Alternatively, one could argue that what happens in game at least counts for practice in real life. I could see the argument falling either way, but it almost certainly should fall one way or another, and I'm really not sure which way it should fall.

No comments: