Friday, May 20, 2022

Empathy for Leaders and Followers

This evening, I had the opportunity to help clean the temple, and I found that I was grateful to have the opportunity to merely help. As our ward's Building Cleaning Coordinator, I know how stressful it can be to coordinate several volunteers, all of whom keep turning to you for information and instruction regarding what has already been done and what still needs to be done. As such, I tried to be more of an asset to our coordinator than a stressor. I tried to exude patience when waiting for instruction. I served cheerfully where I was sent. And I worked as well as I could, striving to strike a proper balance between being thorough and working quickly. And, credit to our coordinator, she did a fantastic job getting the work done with the workers she had.

They say that good leaders also make for good followers. I now think that that's because leaders know how much of a burden it can be to lead. Leaders know how challenging leadership is, in ways that workers may not fully understand. Having served in both capacities, I have an appreciation for the work that goes into both roles: leading and following. As a leader, I appreciate the work my volunteer followers do for me, and as a worker, I appreciate the work the leaders do keeping the work going smoothly. Both tasks take talent and effort. Those who have done both can tell you how true that ism and they can appreciate the work that goes into both leading and following.

No comments: